We are going to talk about the different personalities each generation brings and how to handle them. Vivian Giang helps us to understand that managing a variety of personalities can be challenging for an employer who has a mix of Gen Y, Gen X and Baby Boomer employees. It is important that you know how to manage with them. Being flexible is important when dealing with different personalities. here are 5 tips to help you.
- What personality type is each of your employees? Finding out if your employees are thinkers or feelers will make it much easier to manage them. Thinkers are more prone to making decisions based solely on logic, while feelers make their decisions based on relationships and value what is “good” over what is objectively best for the team. If you’re not sure who fits which type, gauge how they react the next time someone disagrees with them, and you’ll have your answer.
After identifying your employees’ personality types, you can adjust your managing style to their way of working. Be more sensitive to the feelers and focus more on your talking points when dealing with thinkers.
- Build a relationship. To get through to people who don’t like to be managed, try building a relationship with them, first. If you are successful at this, you might be surprised at how loyal they become. “Results and relationships are intertwined, even inseparable” Zack writes.
- Set the bar high. When people do standard work, they feel mediocre about their jobs, and even praise won’t help them get out of this rut. Most workers, especially the ones who don’t like being managed, actually feel the way they do because they’re independent and creative. Use their skills to your advantage.
- Know what’s most important to them. When it comes to Gen Y workers, freedom, flexibility and trust are the most important characteristics of their ideal workspace.
- Quit taking things personally. If you’re going to properly manage your workers, you need to remember to not take their reluctance to follow your directions too personally. Identify their personality, win over their trust and you will start to see things change for the better.
Managepoint can work with and train your management staff to help identify personality types and how to get the best results out of them. Call us today!